So it's Christmas time, and I got out Sadie's Disney Christmas DVD. There are three classic tales, including Christmas Carol and a short cartoon called Small One, about an old, little donkey whose owners, a small boy and his father, have to sell him because he can no longer bear their loads. The little boy takes his beloved donkey to town, but doesn't want to sell him to the tanner, or anyone else who doesn't care about the animal. In the end, a nice man buys the donkey to carry his pregnant wife to Bethlehem! I explained to Sadie that the man was Joseph, who was Jesus' dad, and the woman was Mary and that Jesus was in her tummy!
Tonight,we were making chocolate chip cookies and listening to Shawn Colvin's "Along the Little Road to Bethlehem". I told Sadie that maybe Small One was in the song because he was on the road to Bethlehem with Mary and the baby in her belly. Then I asked her, "Who was the baby in her belly?" And, with flour all over her hands, she screamed "God!" We thought she was close enough.
3 comments:
My cousin is so smart. I can't wait for her to teach me all that she knows.
Out of the mouths of babes....but she is too wise. (And it can be rather confusing, can't it?) So much new information when you are turning 4!!! And then Christmas mixes Santa and Jesus and God and you never know who wants you to be naughty or nice - besides your Mom!! Enjoy the magic and wonder with your precious girl!
I remember "Small One" quite well. In fact.....VERY well. Sadie is getting so grown-up and smarter every day!
Post a Comment